Appendectomy Procedure Module
The most comprehensive, structured curriculum and hands-on training for laparoscopic appendectomy.
Not only is the Appendectomy Module on the LAP Mentor the most sophisticated training resource for this procedure, there is such a life-like realism to the graphics that the visuals could easily be mistaken for those taken in live surgery. This simulation includes components such as high fidelity tissue response to dissection, realistic bleeding and inflammation.
- Basic procedural tasks focus on acquisition of the basic skills that are essential for the appendectomy procedure.
- Interactively-guided procedural techniques allow learners to experience different approaches to the procedure and appropriate use of surgical instruments such as stapler, ligating loop and energy devices.
- Free-hand complete procedure cases include anatomical variations, such as a regular, retrocecal and preileal appendix, as well as different levels of inflammation such as a moderately inflamed, gangrenous and perforated appendix.
- Simulation of emergency situations such as injury to the appendicular artery, cecum, terminal ileum, iliac vessels, ureter and perforation of the appendix are included so that learners are ready for any complication. Clinical decisions such as extent of cecum mobilization in retrocecal case and extent of appendicular artery exposure can be made in real-time.
- Educational features include an anatomical 3D map, real-life videos, interactive visual indicators, step-by-step procedural guidance and detailed performance reports to enrich and enhance the learning experience.
NEW: Proctor Mode
Enhances the training by enabling real-time proctor intervention during the procedure. The proctor can trigger injuries to appendicular artery, modify tissue stiffness during blunt dissection and limit the tool selection to resemble a tool malfunction. These capabilities are intended to evaluate the trainee’s decision-making and response to emergency situations.