As well as excellent tasks, skills and suturing simulation, high fidelity hands-on training of complex complete laparoscopic procedures is a unique benefit of the LAP Mentor, providing a safe environment for trainees to:
- Enhance knowledge of the procedure.
- Practice decision making.
- Improve technical skills and performance.
- Perform critical steps of the procedure.
- Perform errors and practice control of complications.
- Encounter difficult or rare cases, which may otherwise not be encountered during a training period.
- LAP Mentor platforms are available with or without tactile experience when using the surgical tools for enhancing true-to-life feel of tissue resistance during surgery simulation, providing the highest level of hands-on training.
Technical Skills Reporting and Assessment
Comprehensive performance reports provide feedback to both the learner and the educator in order to assess skill level and training success. Optional online access to the system via MentorLearn allows monitoring of the simulator activity and learner’s progress from anywhere, anytime. Reports include:
- Objective metrics based on tools such as OSATS.
- Customizable expert-derived goals established by scientific institutions.
- Learning curve graphs.
“Does assessment during virtual surgery predict actual intraoperative performance?” (Okrainec et al, Association for Surgical Education Annual Meeting, 2008, Canada). Learn more about the scientific data which supports the use of the LAP Mentor as a training and assessment tool.
Training Course Administration
MentorLearn simulator curricula management system allows:
- Design and customize curriculum for learners of all levels and across disciplines.
- Utilize the user and group administration capabilities for the organization of courses
- Use ready-to-use training curriculum and add your own didactic material.
The Team Training setup provides high fidelity technical practice for all participants in the procedure along with reinforcement of non-technical skills, including enhancing communication skills, optimizing coordination and cooperation within the team, and improving decision-making in both routine and emergency situations.
Easy plug-and-play connection between the haptic LAP MentorTM and the portable LAP MentorTM Express simulators allows an optimal combination of individual and team training.
Master the roles and responsibilities of:
- Main Surgeon
- Surgical Assistant
- Camera Assistant
- Operator of uterine manipulator (in the Hysterectomy module)
- NEW: Scrub Nurse – selection of instruments during the case using a Tablet